Curtiss C 46, c/n 30483
Delivered as new to US Army Air Force in September 1944. It made service for both North African Wing and India-China Wing in Karachi before it was sold to Government of India in 1946. 10 years later it was modified to a civilian version in Miami and the aircraft was bought by Transair in April 1957 and delivered to Bromma Airport April 7 1957. Already next morning it made its first flight to Palma de Mallorca with 54 pax for WingTours of Sweden.
Between October 1961 – June 1964 the aircraft was leased to the United Nations for operations in Congo. Next year it was sold to Torair and after this it was resold to Fairline. In spring 1968 it was sold on executive auction to SODEMAC in Congo and June 19 1968 it was rereg. to 9Q-CWN and later on again rereg. to 9T-PLK. During a flight in Congo in July 1970 the port engine failed and the aircraft made an emergency landing in Mbuji Mayi, Congo where it ran into a ditch beside the runway and was damaged beyond repair. No further info after that.
Curtiss C 46, c/n 98
Delivered as new to US Army Air Force October 1944. After the war it was modified by LB Smith Aircraft Corporation in Miami. Transair bought the aircraft June 8 1957 and it was delivered to Bromma Airport June 12 1957. 4 days later it made its first flight for Transair.
In September 1961 it was leased by the United Nations for operations in Congo where it made a landing accident in Albertville June 8 1962. The cockpit section from SE-CFB was used for repair of sister engine SE-CFC.
The cockpit section from SE-CFB is taken away from the fuselage and is used to repair sister engine SE-CFC after its landing accident at Manono Airport.
Curtiss C 46, c/n 86
Delivered to US Army Air Force in October 1944 and after rebuild 1956/57 it was bought by Transair and was flown from Miami to Bromma where it arrived July 5 1957. One week later it made its first flight for TSA July 12 1957. Se-CFC was the first aircraft from TSA to be leased by the United Nations.This was in December 30 1960. It made service in Congo until June 28 1963. During this time it had a landing accident at Manono Airport but was repaired with spares from SE-CFB.
After overhaul in Venedig the aircraft returned to Transair in Malmö late summer 1963. January 17 1964 the aircraft returned to Congo, but this time it was leased to Congolese Government and operated as Transair Congo and the last flight was December 17 1965 between Luluaboourg and Leopoldville where it then was stored until May 1966 when it was flown to Las Palmas, Canary Islands for continuing storage. Sold August 1966 to Paraense, Belem, Brazil but was not delivered until May 1967 when it was flown to the new owners via Dakar in Africa. The aircraft became PP-BUA with Paraense and made service for this company until September 1970. After that it was stored in Miami.
In 1971 the aircraft was sold as CP-960 to Transaeros Frimo, later renamed Frigorifficos Movima in La Paz, Bolivia. During take off from Regos, Bolivia the aircraft was damaged but later repaired and the last sights of it was in the mid eighies when also this picture is taken of former SE-CFC in full FRIMO c/s and titles. Photo via Michael Magnusson.
Curtiss C 46, c/n 26713
Delivery to US Air Force in January 1944 and later transferred to US Navy. Rebuilt by LB Smith Aircraft Corporation and delivered to Transair April 30 1958. Leased by ONU for operations in Congo November 17 1960 until summer 1963 when it returned to Malmö after overhaul in Venice.
A new lease took place from November 29 1963 but this time to the Congo Government and operated under the name Transair Congo. The lease ended June 1964 and the aircraft returned to Malmö. Last service for Transair was July 1965 and after this the aircraft was bought by Torair, and later Fairline. December 1967 it changed owners again and this time it was Anstalt Wigmo in Leopoldville. The aircraft made its delivery flight to the new owners January 23 1968, with its new registration 9Q-CRP. No more info is known about the aircraft.
Curtiss C 46, c/n 26473
Delivered to US Air Force May 1 1943 and after service for US Navy and rebuilt by LB Smith Aircraft Corporation in Miami it was sold to Transair and delivered in May 1958. Leased by ONU for Congo Operations between January 4 1961 until February 1963. After overhaul in Venice returned to Malmö but left again in December 1963 for a 6 month lease to Congo Government.
After returning to Malmö the last Transair service was October 30 1965. After this it was sold to Torair (see picture below) and later Fairline. In June 1967 the aircraft was sold to Mr Raymond Tluszoz in Kinshasa and after overhaul in Malmö it was delivered to the new owner July 14 1967 with its new registration 9Q-CZG. After this the aircraft has operated in Congo under different owners, like LOGE-AIR, COGEAIR and also CONGO FRIGO. No more info is known.
Curtiss C 46, c/n 53
Delivered to US Air Force in August 1944 and after being rebuild in Miami it was delivered to Transair on June 5 1959. Leased by ONU October 5 1961 and damaged in Angola, west of Luluaburg in December 1961. But it was immediately repaired and after the lease had ceased it was again leased for Congo Operations, but this time by the Congo Government and operated under the name Transair Congo. In January 1964 the aircraft failed to become airborne after takeoff from Thysville Airport in Congo and the aircraft was written off.
Top photo taken in Malmö October 5, 1961 by Bo Göran Lundkvist.
Curtiss C 46, c/n 26710
Delivered in December 1943 to US Air Force and after service for both US Navy and US Marine Corps during the war it became N 46X operated by Associated Air Transport. After a landing accident and also service for Modern Air Transport it was rebuilt by LB Smith to Super 46C.
Transair bought the aircraft in March 1961 and it arrived in Malmö as SE-CFG in April the same year. Leased by United Nations in December 1964 it was flown to Leopoldville. The aircraft was damaged beyond repair after having made a hard landing in Stanleyville and it was written off and sold as scrap to Anstalt Wigmo in Leopoldville.
Curtiss C 46, c/n 33294
Delivered to US Air Force in February 1945. After service in Pakistan it was sold to the Government of India. Later it was registered to some different owners before it became N 3958A with Associated Air Transport. It was then rebuilt by LB Smith to Super 46C and sold to Transair in March 1961. Upon arrival in Malmö there was a large freight door installed, as this aircraft was the only TSA C 46 that arrived without freight door. Leased by ONU between May 06 1962 until September 23 1963. A new lease under the name Transair Congo took place between June 30 1965 until March 16, 1966. In May the same year it was flown to Las Palmas, Canary Islands for storage.
In November it was sold to Paraense, Belem, Brazil for US$ 60.000 and made its delivery flight to the new owners just before Christmas 1966. It was flown Las Palmas – Dakar – Sao Luiz – Belem and the distance between Dakar – Sao Luiz took 10 hours and 36 min, which is a record for TSA C 46. Extra fuel tanks were mounted in Las Palmas before the long ferry flight. It was registered PP-BUB January 10 1967 to Paraense and later sold (1974) with the same registration to TABA (Transportes Aereos Regionais da Bacia Amazonica S.A.) also in Belem, Brazil. It was still there in 1993.
TABA PP-BUB in Belem 30 July, 1981.
Photo: Alberto P. Fortner, Sao Paulo.
In 1995 the aircraft was registered CP-1655 and owned by Servicios Aereos Cochabamba in Bolivia. In 1997 with the same registration the new owner was Servicios Aereos Oriental and 1998 there was again a new owner, Transportes Aereos Universal Ltda. Finally in 1999 the aircraft was still in use and now as CP-1655 with SAO (Servicios Aereos del Oriente). But it seems that during the last years it is the same owner but with different names.
Here are two photos of this Curtiss, which is still going strong. The first picture with blue tail is taken in La Paz, Bolivia May 3 1985 and the other with the aircraft in all silver metallic is also taken in La Paz December 8 1994. Both pictures by Michael Magnusson.
Curtiss C 46, c/n 26687
Delivered to US Air Force in November 1943 and after service also for US Navy and US Marine Corps it was rebuilt to Super 46C by LB Smith. It was then in service for a short period with Modern Air Transport as N 4092A before it was bought by Transair in May 1962.
It was delivered to TSA in Modern Air Transports colour scheme but without titles. It was flown from Trenton N.J. to Malmö. The aircraft was immediately leased by ONU for service in Congo until March 25 1966. It left Leopoldville and was flown to Las Palmas for storage in May 1966 and was during November the same year sold to Paraense, Brazil. The route of the delivery flight to Paraense was Las Palmas – Villa Cisneros – Dakar – Fortaleza – Belem. During service for Paraense the aircraft was registered PP-BUC and last notice is in June 1969. After this the aircraft is no longer on the Brasilian register.
Former SE-EDP as PP-BUC for Paranese.
Photo in Belem, Brazil, by Kurt Bjärestig.
Curtiss C 46, c/n 30394
Delivered to US Air Force in September 1944 and was immediately transferred to Karachi for service in India-China Wing and in April 1946 it was sold to the Government of India. After this the aircraft was converted to C 46R. Transair bought the aircraft in August 1962 but it was registered SE-EDR on Transavia, Sweden. The delivery flight was from Miami to Malmö.
Last service for Transair was October 31 1965. In January 1967 it was sold to Paraense Brazil and the delivery flight to the new owner was Malmö – Paris (LBG) – Malaga – Las Palmas – Dakar – Recife – Belem. The aircraft was then registered PP-BUE on March 10 1967. Three years later the aircraft was sold to Bolivia as CP-916 to TABSA. In 1972 it saw new owner in CyS Air Transport Ltda and finally in 1977 the aircraft was bought by Transportes Aereos Bolivar and it was still in service by the and of 1978.
Photographer unknown, picture via Michael Magnusson.
Curtiss C 46, c/n 30255
Delivered July 1944 to US Air Force and after the war there were several owners before the aircraft was registered to Seven Seas Airlines Inc I Luxembourg as N 111E in 1960. It was used for delivery of supplies to Katanga during the conflict in Congo. In 1962 the aircraft returned to USA and was rebuilt to Super 46C. Transair bought the aircraft in August 1962 and it was flown as SE-EDS from Miami to Venice for overhaul before it returned to Malmö for Christmas charters.
Between January to July 1963 it was leased by ONU and between December 1963 until June 1964 it was operated as Transair Congo leased by the Congo Government. Last service was as freighter in Europe between June 1 1964 to November 21 1965 when it was placed in storage. At the end of 1966 it was sold to Paraense, Brazil as PP-BUD (see picture below) and was delivered from Las Palmas via Dakar and Fortaleza. During 1970 the aircraft was in storage in Miami but then there was a new owner in March 1971. It was then registered to Bolivian Airways (TABSA) until April 22 1972 when it crashed at “SLDN” in Bolivia.