↑ Return to Airports

Bromma Airport

Transair started its business at Bromma Airport, Stockholm, in 1951. The company started off in a modest scale with one airplane, an Airspeed Consul. The main source of income for the founder Per Lovén and his employees was the freight of newspapers. It was the evening papers that quickly had to be distributed throughout the country from the printing houses in Stockholm.

Airspeed Consul SE-BUC at Bromma Airport.

The demand of Transair´s services rapidly increased and after a few years the company had three airplanes, all Airspeed Consuls, fully occupied. Airline traffic was at this time not common as tourist transportation as it was too expensive for a family with normal income. Instead trains and busses were used. But, new times were coming.

 


 

In 1953 Transair started to fly tourists to the Mediterranean, on behalf of travel agencies and in small scale. Thereby Transair was one of the first companies within Europe with this new type of traffic. Three airplanes of the type DC-3 were acquired for this purpose and thousands of sun-loving tourists were transported with these airplanes to the warm countries around the Mediterranean.

 

Douglas DC-3 SE-BWE was the second aircraft of its kind to be bought by Transair in 1953. Photo: Bo Göran Lundkvist.

Tourist flights rapidly increased and a Super Curtiss C-46 was bought from the USA in 1957. The same year the number of passengers increased to 22 915. The market continued to grow and so did Transair. Gradually the airplane fleet increased and in 1959 it comprised of six Curtiss C-46 and two DC-3. The number of passengers had now increased to 45 000.

The first Curtiss C-46 after arrival in 1957…

 

…and later the same year standing in front of the terminal building at Bromma Airport.

 


An extensive reorganisation was carried out in 1960 under the leadership of the director Gösta Ellhammar who had been appointed director of Transair the year before. Three DC-6 airplanes were bought from Scandinavian Airlines to face the demands of comfort and range. The number of employees was now 550 but at the same time the demands of further investments increased.

Douglas DC 6 SE-BDM was one of three aircraft purchased from SAS in 1960. Photo: Bo Göran Lundkvist.

A new office building was built at Bromma Airport but at the same time plans were made to build a new hangar, including service buildings and office premises at Bulltofta airport, Malmoe to where they intended to move the business.

 


In the meantime, Bromma remained a very important base for Transair. This picture below is an interesting time document from Bromma.

Among the persons waiting to embark a Transair DC-6 aircraft, you can see the company´s founder Per Lovén (blue dot), the newly appointed director Gösta Ellhammar (green dot) and the Swedish Prime Minister at that time, Tage Erlander, (red dot). It is also interesting to observe the vehicles and the clothes.

Bromma airport remained an important base for Transair´s operations throughout the sixties when the so-called “feeder-flights” were operated between Bromma and Bulltofta. Gradually Bromma´s importance decreased, mostly due to the new airport Arlanda that was built in Stockholm, where Transair later moved its Stockholm operations.

 


 

An early winter morning DC-7B SE-ERL is being towed from its night parking…

 

…to be prepared for the morning “feeder-flight” to Malmoe.